Bacon's Castle

Also known as: Arthur Allen House
Off VA 10, Bacon's Castle, Virginia

Photos 

Bacon's Castle

Photo from the Historic American Buildings Survey

View photos at Library of Congress

Map 

Description 

The fine old brick mansion in the lower part of the County, known as "Bacon's Castle", was built by Arthur Allen, ancestor of the Claremont Allens, in 1665. It was referred to as "Allen's Brick House." During Bacon's Rebellion, Major William Rookings, Lieutenant Robert Burgess and Captain Arthur Long, followers of Bacon, seized this house of Allen's and made a fort of it. It was thereafter known as "Bacon's Castle," "Castle" meaning fort. On the 29th of December, 1676, a fight occurred here between Bacon's followers and men from the British ship "Young Prince" lying in the James River. Captain Robert Morris of the "Young Prince" claims to have carried the fort. In the County records we find depositions made in 1677, which tell of the seizure of Allen's house and the behavior of the "Rebel Crew" while there. At the time of the American Civil War, "Bacon's Castle" was owned by Colonel John H. Hankins. His son, James D. Hankins, was captain of the Surry Light Artillery, C.S.A. -- Historic American Buildings Survey (HABS VA-75)

National Register information 

Status
Posted to the National Register of Historic Places on October 15, 1966
Reference number
66000849
Architectural style
Other architectural type; Tudor cross plan
Areas of significance
Military; Architecture
Level of significance
National
Evaluation criteria
A - Event; C - Design/Construction
Property type
Building
Historic functions
Single dwelling; Battle site
Current function
Single dwelling
Period of significance
1650-1699
Significant years
1660; 1676; 1677

Sources