Monocacy National Battlefield

SE of Frederick, Frederick, Maryland

Photos 

Gambrill House

Photo from the Historic American Buildings Survey

View photos at Library of Congress

Map 

Description 

The Gambrill House was built ca. 1872 for James H. Gambrill, a successful Frederick County miller. Gambrill built the Second-Empire style mansion on high ground overlooking Araby Mill, a gristmill and the source of his prosperity. At the time it was one of the county's largest and grandest residences. The mansard-roofed building was one of the few full expressions of the Second-Empire style built in the Frederick County countryside. The National Park Service acquired the Gambrill property in 1981, to be part of Monocacy National Battlefield. The Battle of Monocacy (July 9, 1864) was fought on this and neighboring farms. Though the Confederacy won a nominal victory, Union commander Lew Wallace succeeded in delaying Confederate Jubal A. Early long enough to prevent the latter's seizure of Washington. The Gambrill House had yet to be built at the time of the battle. The mansion relates to the Civil War-period of the community, however, in that it is representative of rebuilding and improvement that took place locally during the immediate post-war years. -- Historic American Buildings Survey (HABS MD-1051)

National Register information 

Status
Posted to the National Register of Historic Places on November 8, 1973
Reference number
66000908
Area of significance
Military
Level of significance
National
Evaluation criteria
A - Event
Property type
Site
Historic functions
Agricultural outbuildings; Battle site
Current functions
Agricultural fields; Agricultural outbuildings
Period of significance
1850-1874
Significant year
1864
Number of properties
Contributing buildings: 3
Contributing sites: 1

Sources