Pemberton's Headquarters

Also known as: Willis-Cowan House
1018 Crawford St., Vicksburg, Mississippi

Photo 

Pemberton's Headquarters

Main facade

Photo from the Historic American Buildings Survey

View photos at Library of Congress

Map 

Description 

During most of the 47-day siege of Vicksburg (May-July 1863), this large two story, brick house in the center of the city was the headquarters of Lt. Gen. John C. Pemberton, commander of the Department of Mississippi, Alabama and East Louisiana. It was in this house that Gen. Pemberton made his decision to surrender the Confederate stronghold to Union forces led by Maj. Gen. U.S. Grant. -- National Historic Landmark statement of significance, December 8, 1976

National Register information 

Status
Posted to the National Register of Historic Places on July 23, 1970
Reference number
70000319
Architectural styles
Mid 19th Century Revival: Exotic Revival; Federal
Areas of significance
Military; Politics/Government; Architecture
Levels of significance
National; State; Local
Evaluation criteria
A - Event; C - Design/Construction; B - Person
Property type
Building
Historic functions
Single dwelling; Battle site
Periods of significance
1875-1899; 1850-1874; 1825-1849
Significant years
1836; 1862; 1892

Sources