The historic site of a wooden stockade fortification in Clarke County, Alabama.
At the time of the Creek War, Clarke was a newly formed county in the Mississippi Territory. The first hostilities of the war occurred nearby during the Battle of Burnt Corn, where white settlers attacked the Red Sticks on July 27, 1813. The Red Sticks retaliated on August 30, 1813 with the Fort Mims massacre, in which several hundred people assembled inside Fort Mims were killed.
Fort Sinquefield was housing several pioneer families and friendly Creeks after the attack on Fort Mims. On September 1, 1813, Red Sticks warriors led by Josiah Francis, a.k.a. Prophet Francis, attacked the Ransom Kimbell and Abner James families, who had left the crowded fort for Ransom Kimbell's cabin nearby. Most of the men escaped back to the fort, but twelve women and children were killed and scalped in what became known as the Kimbell-James Massacre. The bodies were retrieved for burial outside of the fort the next day. After the burials, several woman were washing clothes at a spring away from the fort when the hostile Creeks attacked a second time. They attempted to cut the women off from the fort, but were thwarted and only managed to kill one woman, Sarah Phillips. Several Creek warriors were killed in the attack, as was one additional settler, Stephen Lacey. The attack lasted two hours before the Red Sticks retreated. The fort was abandoned afterwards, with the survivors moving to the larger Fort Madison, several miles to the south of Fort Sinquefield.