Buford's Massacre Site

Also known as: Buford's Battleground
SC 522, 0.25 mi. S of SC 9, Tradesville, South Carolina

Photos 

Buford's Massacre Site, 1860 Monument

South Carolina Department of Archives and History

View this photo at nationalregister.sc.gov

Map 

Street View 

Description 

On May 28, 1780, Colonel Abraham Buford, in command of a regiment of 350 Virginians, was overtaken by Colonel Banastre Tarleton of the British Army who commanded 700 cavalry and infantrymen under Lieutenant General Charles Lord Cornwallis. In the ensuing action 115 Americans were killed, 151 were wounded, and 53 were taken prisoner. There is still considerable debate over whether Tarleton's men shot and bayoneted Patriots while they were in the act of surrendering or after they had surrendered, or whether they were falsely accused of such atrocities by the Americans in an effort to inflame resistance to the British in the backcountry. After the battle, nearby settlers aided survivors and buried American soldiers in a long trench. The dying and badly wounded were carried several miles where they were cared for by, among others, Mrs. Andrew Jackson and her two sons Andrew and Robert. Two monuments now mark the Buford Battleground. A white monument ten feet tall, erected on June 2, 1860, marked the American gravesite. This marker became so scarred from chippings of souvenir hunters that a new monument was erected on May 1, 1955, bearing the same inscription. Buford’s Massacre was one of the many vicious actions that characterized the Revolutionary War campaigns in the backcountry South. This particular battle became a symbol of British atrocities and Tarleton became known as “Bloody Tarleton.” Listed in the National Register February 15, 1990. - SCDAH

National Register information 

Status
Posted to the National Register of Historic Places on February 15, 1990
Reference number
90000091
Area of significance
Military
Level of significance
National
Evaluation criteria
A - Event
Property type
District
Historic functions
Monument/marker; Battle site
Current functions
Park; Monument/marker
Periods of significance
1850-1874; 1750-1799
Significant years
1780; 1860
Number of properties
Contributing structures: 1
Contributing sites: 1
Non-contributing objects: 2

Update Log 

  • September 17, 2014: Updated by Michael Miller: Added "Description" & "Street View" and Imported Photo

Sources