Boykin Mill Complex

Also known as: Mill Tract Plantation
8 mi. S of Camden at jct. of SC 261 and Co. Rd. 2, Camden, South Carolina

Photos 

Boykin Mill Complex, Boykin Mill

South Carolina Department of Archives and History

View this photo at nationalregister.sc.gov

Map 

Street Views 

Description 

Boykin Mill Complex is a central locale that has historically been important in the life of rural Kershaw County. At present, “Boykin Mill” denotes a community which consists of an old post office (ca. 1875), an old general store (ca. 1905), a ca. 1905 grist mill, mill pond, mill dam, gates, and canals. The community also includes an early nineteenth century Greek Revival style Baptist church (ca. 1827), one mid-nineteenth century residence, three twentieth century residences (ca. 1935) built for mill workers, and a smoke house. A Civil War battle site is also a part of the Boykin Mill community. The battle at Boykin Mill took place on April 17, 1865. The importance of these sites revolves around the large mill pond on Swift Creek. The pond dates to at least 1786, when it was platted for Robert English, who was apparently the first grantee of the mill pond tract. A succession of saw and grist mills has been located on or near the dam to the pond since that time. Listed in the National Register September 10, 1992. - SCDAH

National Register information 

Status
Posted to the National Register of Historic Places on September 10, 1992
Reference number
92001230
Architectural styles
Mid 19th Century Revival; American Movement: Bungalow/Craftsman; Mid 19th Century Revival: Exotic Revival
Areas of significance
Industry; Commerce; Military; Engineering; Transportation; Architecture
Level of significance
State
Evaluation criteria
A - Event; C - Design/Construction
Property type
District
Historic functions
Department store; Water works; Single dwelling; Fortification; Manufacturing facility; Battle site
Current functions
Water works; Single dwelling; Specialty store; Manufacturing facility
Periods of significance
1900-1924; 1875-1899; 1850-1874; 1800-1824; 1750-1799; 1825-1849; 1925-1949
Number of properties
Contributing buildings: 9
Contributing structures: 4
Contributing sites: 2
Non-contributing buildings: 12

Update Log 

  • September 17, 2014: Updated by Michael Miller: Added "Description" & "Street View" and Imported Photo

Sources