Great Falls Downtown Historic District

Dearborn St. between Church and Republic St., Great Falls, South Carolina

Historic Downtown Commercial District in Great Falls, SC

Photos 

Republic Mills Company Store

Photo taken by Michael Miller

Map 

Street View 

Description 

The Great Falls Downtown Historic District includes fourteen contributing and one non-contributing building. The contributing properties represent the development of the downtown as a center of commerce between circa 1910 and circa 1930, which exemplifies the growth and development of a textile mill community in the Piedmont of South Carolina. Great Falls was a site with hydroelectric potential and Southern Power completed the first powerhouse and dam at Great Falls in 1907. The partners in the hydroelectric endeavor, along with other investors, also organized the Republic Textile Mills Company to capitalize on the abundant power made available at the site. The first mill was online by 1910 with a few hundred workers living around the mill and a company store. A second mill and mill village was in operation by 1917, and a third by 1923. The company also constructed a downtown commercial area to serve the new community. The town was named Great Falls in honor of the nearby natural feature. The historic district consists of the buildings constructed by the Republic Textile Mills Company between circa 1910 and circa 1930 to provide a commercial area to meet the needs of the mill workers and their families. Listed in the National Register June 2, 2000.

National Register information 

Status
Posted to the National Register of Historic Places on June 2, 2000
Reference number
00000588
Architectural style
Late 19th and 20th Century Revival
Areas of significance
Architecture; Commerce
Level of significance
Local
Evaluation criteria
A - Event; C - Design/Construction
Property type
District
Historic functions
Business; Theater; Financial institution; Specialty store; Department store
Current functions
Business; Specialty store
Periods of significance
1900-1924; 1925-1949
Number of properties
Contributing buildings: 14
Non-contributing buildings: 1

Update Log 

  • October 29, 2013: Updated by Michael Miller: Added "Description" & "Overview"
  • October 29, 2013: New photos from Michael Miller

Related landmarks 

Sources