Port Washington Downtown Historic District
Roughly along N. Franklin St., from E Jackson St. to E Grand Ave., Port Washington, Wisconsin
Looking North on Jefferson Street
That's St. Mary's in the distance.
Photo taken by J.R. Manning
+43.38937, -87.8687543°23'22" N, 87°52'07" W
Port Washington was, for about four years, the home of Leland Stanford. He practiced law here until a fire destroyed much of the city, along with Stanford's law library, papers and office. Standford moved to California where he became president of the Central Pacific and became a driving force in building the transcontinental railroad. Thanks to a large grant he made to found the school, Stanford University bears his name. Although famous in California, he was a former resident of Port Washington.
National Register information
- Posted to the National Register of Historic Places on September 8, 2000
- Reference number
- Architectural styles
- Federal; Victorian: Italianate; et.al.
- Areas of significance
- Commerce; Architecture
- Level of significance
- Evaluation criteria
- A - Event; C - Design/Construction
- Property type
- Historic functions
- Specialty store; Hotel; Financial institution
- Current functions
- Specialty store; Financial institution; Restaurant
- Periods of significance
- 1850-1874; 1875-1899; 1900-1924; 1925-1949; 1950-1974
- Number of properties
- Contributing buildings: 37
Non-contributing buildings: 10
- May 5, 2012: Updated by J.R. Manning: Added an interesting piece of trivia about a former resident.
- July 3, 2011: Updated by J.R. Manning: Updated Status
- June 22, 2011: New photos from J.R. Manning