Old Shandon Historic District

Roughly bounded by Cypress, Lee, Maple, Preston and Woodrow St., Columbia, South Carolina

Photos 

Shandon Baptist Church (Bethel A.M.E. Church), 819 Woodrow St.

South Carolina Department of Archives and History

View this photo at nationalregister.sc.gov

Map 

Street View 

Description 

The Old Shandon Historic District is historically significant as the first planned suburban community of Columbia. The houses, institutions, and businesses built in Shandon between the 1890s and the 1950s reflected the growing suburban landscape of the white middle class as it responded to changes in transportation, social issues, and increasing population and commercial development encroachment. Robert W. Shand, a prominent local attorney, formed the Columbia Land and Investment Company in 1889. The following year the company bought 305 acres east of Columbia for $24,000. Formerly rural farmland and woods owned earlier in the 1800s by Robert Start, a Revolutionary War soldier and early nineteenth century mayor of Columbia, this land was to be the first phase of the new town of Shandon, envisioned as an enclave from the busy life of the city as well as a resort and amusement center. The wide streets and generous lots of the area created a park-like setting that was intended to attract professional workers and their families from the urban center. Access to the offices and businesses of the city was provided by the extension of the city’s trolley line into the district. The district is a collection of fifty-one primarily residential properties, forty-two of which are contributing properties. Three buildings in the district are utilized for religious purposes. Representative architectural styles include Queen Anne, Bungalow, Craftsman, Colonial Revival, and Neo-Classical. Listed in the National Register September 2, 2003. - SCDAH

National Register information 

Status
Posted to the National Register of Historic Places on September 2, 2003
Reference number
03000887
Architectural style
Late 19th and 20th Century Revival
Areas of significance
Architecture; Community Planning and Development
Level of significance
Local
Evaluation criteria
A - Event; C - Design/Construction
Property type
District
Historic functions
Single dwelling; Multiple dwelling; Secondary structure; Religious structure
Current functions
Single dwelling; Multiple dwelling; Secondary structure; Religious structure
Periods of significance
1875-1899; 1900-1924; 1925-1949
Number of properties
Contributing buildings: 42
Non-contributing buildings: 9

Update Log 

  • October 17, 2014: Updated by Michael Miller: Added "Description" & "Street View" and Imported Photo

Sources