Beardsley Avenue Historic District

405 W to 441 E Beardsley Ave., 700 blk N. Riverside; Island Park, Elkhart, Indiana

Photos 

Drinking Fountain & Conn Bandstand

On Island Park. The fountain was made from an artesian well in the 1930s by the WPA. The bandstand was moved here in 1980.

Photo taken by Jim Allen in June 2013

Enlarge

Map 

Description 

Two buildings in the district, the Albert Beardsley house & the Dr. Havilah Beardsley house, were previously listed in the NRHP. The district also includes Island Park, located in the St. Joseph River at the mouth of the Elkhart River, and the Main Street Memorial bridge.

National Register information 

Status
Posted to the National Register of Historic Places on September 28, 2003
Reference number
03000979
Architectural styles
American Movement: Prairie School; Late 19th and 20th Century Revival: Beaux Arts; et al.
Areas of significance
Architecture; Entertainment/Recreation
Level of significance
Local
Evaluation criteria
A - Event; C - Design/Construction
Property type
District
Historic functions
Single dwelling; Outdoor recreation
Current functions
Single dwelling; Outdoor recreation
Periods of significance
1825-1849; 1850-1874; 1875-1899; 1900-1924; 1925-1949
Significant years
1848; 1887; 1910
Number of properties
Contributing buildings: 41
Contributing structures: 2
Contributing sites: 3
Contributing objects: 2
Non-contributing buildings: 2
Non-contributing structures: 2

Update Log 

  • June 28, 2016: New photos from Jim Allen
  • June 23, 2015: New photos from Jim Allen
  • June 25, 2014: New photo from Jim Allen
  • June 17, 2014: New photo from Jim Allen
  • July 16, 2013: Updated by Jim Allen: Expanded description
  • June 26, 2013: Updated by Jim Allen: Added description

Related landmarks 

Sources