Georgia Marble Company and Tate Historic District

Centered on GA 53 bet GA 5 and Long Swamp Creek, Tate, Georgia

Photos 

Photo taken by pam phillips in September 2015

Enlarge

Map 

Street Views 

Description 

With capital of 1.5 million dollars the Georgia Marble Company was founded in 1884, spending some $800,000 on land, mills, and adding a branch railroad to the Marietta and North Georgia Railroad, later the Atlanta, Knoxville and Northern Division of the Louisville and Nashville Railroad.

National Register information 

Status
Posted to the National Register of Historic Places on June 10, 2005
Reference number
05000644
Architectural styles
Late 19th and 20th Century Revival: Late Gothic Revival; Late 19th and 20th Century Revival: Colonial Revival; et al.
Areas of significance
Art; Architecture; Engineering; Community Planning and Development; Industry
Level of significance
State
Evaluation criteria
A - Event; B - Person; C - Design/Construction
Property type
District
Historic functions
Single dwelling; Specialty store; Department store; Restaurant; Post office; School; Religious structure
Current functions
Single dwelling; School; Religious structure; Cemetery; Manufacturing facility; Extractive facility; Clinic
Periods of significance
1825-1849; 1850-1874; 1875-1899; 1900-1924; 1925-1949; 1950-1974
Significant years
1840; 1850; 1904
Number of properties
Contributing buildings: 106
Contributing structures: 15
Contributing sites: 7
Non-contributing buildings: 56

Update Log 

  • August 3, 2017: New Street View added by Michael Miller

Related landmarks 

Sources