Charleston Navy Yard Historic District

Also known as: Charleston Naval Shipyard, Charleston Navy Base, Naval Base Charleston
Roughly bounded by First St., Hobson Ave., Avenue D, Fourth and Fifth Sts., and the drydocks bet. First and Thirteenth S, North Charleston, South Carolina

Photos 

Ship Fitter Shop, 1210 Truxtum Ave.

South Carolina Department of Archives and History

View this photo at nationalregister.sc.gov

Map 

Description 

This building was part of the United States Navy shore establishment expansion programs implemented prior to and during World War II. World War II expansion of Naval Base Charleston is a significant period in the industrial history of the installation. The architectural style is representative of the pre-World War II industrial design and construction techniques. This building contributes to the Naval Shipyard Historic District. -- Historic American Buildings Survey (HABS SC-691-A)

The Charleston Navy Yard Historic District is nationally significant as the core collection of historic resources illustrating the establishment, growth, and development of the Charleston Navy Yard (later the Charleston Naval Shipyard and still later the Naval Base Charleston) from 1903 through 1945. The historic district includes 57 contributing historic buildings, structures, and objects associated with the Charleston Navy Yard, which served the United States Navy from 1903 to 1996. The historic resources in the district include machine shops, storage facilities, a power house, drydocks, piers, administrative facilities, and other buildings and structures related to ship construction and repair. Properties contributing to the significance of the district fall into four time periods and associated forms of architectural styles: the Neo-Classical style employed during the establishment and early years of the installation from 1903 to ca. 1910; the Moderne industrial form from the 1910s to the end of World War I; the Moderne construction of federal works projects from the inter-war period; and the largely utilitarian forms prevalent from the emergency period of the late 1930s through the end of World War II. The largest number of resources in the district relate to the shipyard's dramatic development just before and throughout World War II, a period when the Charleston Navy Yard experienced its most significant period of expansion. The primary role of the shipyard during World War II was to build and repair destroyers and destroyer escorts. The vessels constructed at the shipyard are well-documented for their contributions to the eventual Allied victory. At the end of war, the Navy drastically reduced the workload at the Charleston Navy Yard, but the yard was an active installation throughout the Cold War and until 1996. Listed in the National Register August 9, 2006. - SCDAH

National Register information 

Status
Posted to the National Register of Historic Places on August 9, 2006
Reference number
06000699
Architectural styles
Late 19th and 20th Century Revival; Modern Movement
Areas of significance
Architecture; Military
Level of significance
National
Evaluation criteria
A - Event; C - Design/Construction
Property type
District
Historic function
Naval facility
Current functions
Business; Warehouse; Manufacturing facility; Energy facility; Water-related; College
Periods of significance
1900-1924; 1925-1949
Significant years
1903; 1917; 1940
Number of properties
Contributing buildings: 29
Contributing structures: 27
Contributing objects: 1
Non-contributing buildings: 15
Non-contributing structures: 14

Update Log 

  • August 18, 2014: Photo imported by Michael Miller
  • July 14, 2014: Updated by Michael Miller: Added "Description" & "Street View"
  • July 14, 2014: New Street View added by Michael Miller

Related landmarks 

Sources