Charleston Navy Yard Officers' Quarters Historic District

Turnbull Ave., Everglades Dr., Navy Way, and portions of Hobson Ave. and Blackstop Dr., North Charleston, South Carolina

Photos 

Quarters C, 300 Navy Way

South Carolina Department of Archives and History

View this photo at nationalregister.sc.gov

Map 

Description 

The Charleston Navy Yard Officers' Quarters Historic District is nationally significant as a collection of historic resources representing the establishment, growth, and development of the upper echelon of senior military housing, support structures, sports facilities and recreational landscape features within a park setting at the Charleston Navy Yard (later the Charleston Naval Shipyard, and finally Naval Base Charleston) from 1901 through 1945. While some of the developments in housing were typical of those constructed at other navy yards elsewhere, the Charleston Navy Yard Officers’ Quarters Historic District stands out as a singularly unique prototype for elite residential planned communities. This district is composed of forty buildings, structures, sites, and objects. Twenty-eight properties contribute to the historic and architectural character of the district, and twelve properties are noncontributing resources. Quarters and structures contributing to the significance of the district fall into three time periods and associated forms of architectural styles: 1) Base Acquisition and Construction through World War I, with late Victorian and early twentieth century eclectic designs such as the Italianate, Neo-Classical, Italian Renaissance Revival and Colonial Revival styles; 2) Inter-War and 1930s Expansion, with additional twentieth century eclectic designs such as the Colonial Revival style, several service buildings and New Deal Federal projects such as the Works Progress Administration (WPA), with designs such as the Panama House style, and 3) World War II Expansion, with additional WPA designs, the Panama House Style, and twentieth century residential designs such as the Colonial Revival and Neo-Colonial styles. Listed in the National Register March 2, 2007. - SCDAH

National Register information 

Status
Posted to the National Register of Historic Places on March 2, 2007
Reference number
07000100
Architectural styles
Late 19th and 20th Century Revival; American Movement: Prairie School
Areas of significance
Architecture; Landscape Architecture; Community Planning and Development; Social History; Military
Level of significance
National
Evaluation criteria
A - Event; C - Design/Construction
Property type
District
Historic functions
Institutional housing; Naval facility; Park; Sport facility; Road-related; Secondary structure; Garden
Current functions
Single dwelling; Park; Sport facility; Road-related; Multiple dwelling; Garden; Pedestrian related
Periods of significance
1875-1899; 1900-1924; 1925-1949
Significant years
1898; 1903; 1905
Number of properties
Contributing buildings: 24
Contributing structures: 1
Contributing sites: 2
Contributing objects: 1
Non-contributing buildings: 10
Non-contributing sites: 1
Non-contributing objects: 1

Update Log 

  • August 18, 2014: Photo imported by Michael Miller
  • July 14, 2014: Updated by Michael Miller: Added "GPS Coordinates", "Description" & "Street View"

Sources