Fort Moultrie Quartermaster and Support Facilities Historic District

Middle St. and Thompson Ave., bet. Stations 14 and 16.5, Sullivan's Island, South Carolina

Photos 

Non-Commmissioned Officer's Club and Post Theatre, 1450-1454 Middle St.

Constructed: ca. 1925 and ca. 1930

South Carolina Department of Archives and History

View this photo at nationalregister.sc.gov

Map 

Street Views 

Description 

The Fort Moultrie Quartermaster and Support Facilities Historic District is a relatively small collection of buildings located on the western end of Sullivan’s Island. Most of the buildings are currently used as single or multiple dwellings; one is city hall; and two are used for storage. The district includes buildings constructed by the Quartermaster Corp. and as service facilities for Fort Moultrie during its expansion from 1897 through 1947. Work on Fort Moultrie resumed in 1897 largely as a result of growing tensions between the United States and Spain. The Quartermaster facilities were grouped toward the center of the fort. The Quartermaster and Support facilities Historic District includes ten contributing resources constructed between circa 1900 and 1930 to serve Fort Moultrie. Included in the district are a Non-Commissioned Officers’ Club, the Post Theatre, a Commissary Storehouse, a Barracks, Ordnance Storage and Office, two Quartermaster’s Warehouses, Dispensary/Provost Marshall’s Office, Quartermaster’s Office, and the Quartermaster’s Dock. Listed in the National Register September 6, 2007. - SCDAH

National Register information 

Status
Posted to the National Register of Historic Places on September 6, 2007
Reference number
07000925
Areas of significance
Military; Community Planning and Development; Architecture
Level of significance
Local
Evaluation criteria
A - Event; C - Design/Construction
Property type
District
Historic function
Military facility
Current functions
Single dwelling; Multiple dwelling; City hall; Water-related
Period of significance
1925-1949
Number of properties
Contributing buildings: 10

Update Log 

  • August 18, 2014: Photo imported by Michael Miller
  • July 15, 2014: Updated by Michael Miller: Added "GPS Coordinates", "Description" & "Street View"

Related landmarks 

Sources