Atlanticville Historic District

Middle St., Jasper Blvd., Myrtle Ave. bet. Stations 22-1/2 and 26, Sullivan's Island, South Carolina

Photos 

Wulbern-Bennett House, 2268 I'on Ave.

Constructed: ca. 1910

South Carolina Department of Archives and History

View this photo at nationalregister.sc.gov

Map 

Street Views 

Description 

The Atlanticville Historic District is a concentration of residential buildings at the center-east end of Sullivan’s Island. The district includes fifty-eight contributing resources and twenty-eight noncontributing resources. All but two of the district’s contributing resources are representative of the property type “Island Houses.” The other contributing resources are the Chapel of the Holy Cross and the Sullivan’s Island Graded School. Resources in Atlanticville typically date from between circa 1880 to 1950. Most are relatively modest one-story cottages, many of which retain historic rear pavilions or keeping houses. The “Island Houses” within Atlanticville are generally somewhat newer than the houses in Moultrieville, the island’s other historic district comprised mainly of island houses. The architectural character of the traditional residential architecture of Sullivan’s Island is directly related to the island’s historic role as a resort community primarily serving nearby Charleston. Most of the island’s houses were originally constructed as seasonal summertime dwellings. The fact that they were most often not their owner’s primary residences affected the design and construction of the houses and often resulted in evolutionary construction. The climate on the island is also a harsh one for the predominantly frame construction of the houses, as they are subjected to extreme sun, high humidity, prevailing coastal breezes, and occasional hurricanes. Ranging from simple transient vernacular cottages to more elaborate permanent dwellings, each house reflects not only the personality of its original owners but also the changing tastes of subsequent owners and adaptations that were made in response to deterioration and damages brought on by climatic conditions. All of these factors have resulted in an eclectic mix of housing types that somehow manages to blend together with their landscape to form the island’s unique built environment. Listed in the National Register September 6, 2007. - SCDAH

National Register information 

Status
Posted to the National Register of Historic Places on September 6, 2007
Reference number
07000927
Areas of significance
Architecture; Community Planning and Development
Level of significance
Local
Evaluation criteria
A - Event; C - Design/Construction
Property type
District
Historic functions
Single dwelling; Multiple dwelling; Religious structure
Current functions
Single dwelling; Multiple dwelling; Religious structure
Periods of significance
1875-1899; 1900-1924; 1925-1949; 1950-1974
Number of properties
Contributing buildings: 45
Contributing structures: 1
Contributing sites: 1
Non-contributing buildings: 8

Update Log 

  • August 18, 2014: Photo imported by Michael Miller
  • July 9, 2014: Updated by Michael Miller: Added "GPS Coordinates", "Description" & "Street View"

Sources