Moultrieville Historic District

Middle St. and Osceola Ave., bet. stations 11 and 12, Sullivan's Island, South Carolina

Photos 

Stella Maris Catholic Church

Photo taken by Michael Miller in August 2014

Enlarge

Map 

Street Views 

Description 

The Moultrieville Historic District is a relatively small collection of ďisland housesĒ that are located on the west end of Sullivanís Island. The district includes eighteen contributing buildings and one contributing site. All but one of the buildings are now residences, with the remaining building being Stella Maris Catholic Church, and the site is a small memorial park. There are also five noncontributing residences in the district. The period of significance for the district extends from circa 1830 through circa 1930 and reflects the construction dates of its earliest and latest contributing extant buildings. The district includes houses from the earliest period of resort housing on the island. The architectural character of the traditional residential architecture of Sullivanís Island is directly related to the islandís historic role as a resort community primarily serving nearby Charleston. Most of the islandís houses were originally constructed as seasonal summertime dwellings. The fact that they were most often not their ownerís primary residences affected the design and construction of the houses and often resulted in evolutionary construction. The climate on the island is also a harsh one for the predominantly frame construction of the houses, as they are subjected to extreme sun, high humidity, prevailing coastal breezes, and occasional hurricanes. Ranging from simple transient vernacular cottages to more elaborate permanent dwellings, each house reflects not only the personality of its original owners but also the changing tastes of subsequent owners and adaptations that were made in response to deterioration and damages brought on by climatic conditions. All of these factors have resulted in an eclectic mix of housing types that somehow manages to blend together with their landscape to form the islandís unique built environment. Listed in the National Register September 6, 2007. - SCDAH

National Register information 

Status
Posted to the National Register of Historic Places on September 6, 2007
Reference number
07000928
Areas of significance
Architecture; Community Planning and Development; Religion
Level of significance
Local
Evaluation criteria
A - Event; C - Design/Construction
Property type
District
Historic functions
Single dwelling; Religious structure
Current functions
Single dwelling; Multiple dwelling; Religious structure
Periods of significance
1825-1849; 1850-1874; 1875-1899; 1900-1924; 1925-1949; 1950-1974
Number of properties
Contributing buildings: 18
Contributing sites: 1
Non-contributing buildings: 5

Update Log 

  • August 7, 2014: New photos from Michael Miller
  • July 23, 2014: Updated by Michael Miller: Added "GPS Coordinates", "Description" & "Street View"

Related landmarks 

Sources