Sullivan's Island Historic District

Middle St., I'on Ave. and Central Ave. bet. Stations 17 and 18-1/2, Sullivan's Island, South Carolina

Photos 

Officer's Quarters

Photo taken by Donald K. O'Brien

Enlarge

Map 

Street Views 

Description 

The Sullivan’s Island Historic District is located in the central-western portion of Sullivan’s Island. The area represents what had historically been the core residential and administrative areas of Fort Moultrie. Twenty-six of the district’s thirty-eight contributing resources are representative military resources. All but one of the remaining resources are representative “Island Houses” with the remaining building being a church, the Post Chapel. The district also includes sixteen noncontributing resources. The period of significance for the district extends from circa 1870 through circa 1950 and reflects the construction dates of its earliest and latest contributing extant buildings. The Sullivan’s Island Historic District includes twenty single-family dwellings that were constructed as officers’ quarters by the U.S. Army circa 1905. Of these, one was the Base Commander’s Quarters, nine were Senior Officers’ Quarters and ten were Junior Officers’ Quarters. The Base Commander’s Quarters is the largest and most elaborate of the houses. The Bachelor Officers’ Quarters, a large multi-unit building, was constructed circa 1900. Other military-related buildings in the district are the Administration Building, the Post Exchange and Gymnasium, and the Electrical Shop. The houses fronted the beach when originally constructed but over time sufficient land has accreted to allow for the construction of one additional street and three rows of houses. The seven non-military historically single-family residences are typical of the property type “Island Houses,” yet are illustrative of the eclectic architectural character of the type. Listed in the National Register September 6, 2007. - SCDAH

National Register information 

Status
Posted to the National Register of Historic Places on September 6, 2007
Reference number
07000929
Areas of significance
Military; Architecture; Community Planning and Development
Level of significance
Local
Evaluation criteria
A - Event; C - Design/Construction
Property type
District
Historic functions
Military facility; Single dwelling; Specialty store
Current functions
Single dwelling; Multiple dwelling; Religious structure
Periods of significance
1850-1874; 1875-1899; 1900-1924; 1925-1949; 1950-1974
Number of properties
Contributing buildings: 36
Non-contributing buildings: 16

Update Log 

  • August 19, 2014: Photo imported by Michael Miller
  • July 28, 2014: Updated by Michael Miller: Added "GPS Coordinates", "Description" & "Street View"
  • February 19, 2012: New photo from Donald K. O'Brien

Sources 

  • Donald K. O'Brien - dko198 [at] gmail [dot] com
  • Michael Miller - michael_a_miller [at] yahoo [dot] com
  • SCDAH
  • National Register database - Reference number 07000929