Florence Downtown Historic District

Portions of West Evans, North Dargan St., and South Dargan St, Florence, South Carolina


155 N. Dargan St.

Constructed: 1913

South Carolina Department of Archives and History

View this photo at nationalregister.sc.gov


Street View 


The Florence Downtown Historic District is significant for its association with Florence’s commercial development since the city’s founding, as well as for its examples of commercial architecture dating from the period ca. 1890-ca. 1940. The district reflects the city’s growth as the nucleus of a successful regional railroad network and as a thriving commercial center for the entire Pee Dee region. The Florence Downtown Historic District is a collection of thirty commercial buildings, of which twenty-four are contributing buildings and six are non-contributing buildings. This area contains the majority of the late nineteenth to early twentieth century architecture remaining in the city. Most buildings are two-story brick buildings with embellished cornices. Many are characterized by flat rooflines, decorative brick moldings, and vertical pilasters. While all the properties have been modified to include modern storefronts, the upper facades are largely intact and retain their integrity. These contributing resources are from a time during which Florence enjoyed tremendous growth and prosperity and reflect the development of the city from ca. 1890 to ca. 1940. Listed in the National Register July 2, 2008. - SCDAH

National Register information 

Posted to the National Register of Historic Places on July 2, 2008
Reference number
Architectural style
Late 19th and 20th Century Revival
Areas of significance
Architecture; Commerce
Level of significance
Evaluation criteria
A - Event; C - Design/Construction
Property type
Historic functions
Business; Financial institution; Specialty store; Department store
Current functions
Specialty store; Department store; Restaurant
Periods of significance
1875-1899; 1900-1924; 1925-1949
Number of properties
Contributing buildings: 24
Non-contributing buildings: 6

Update Log 

  • September 5, 2014: Updated by Michael Miller: Added "GPS Coordinates", "Description" & "Street View" and Imported Photos
  • September 5, 2014: Photo imported by Michael Miller