Florida and Third Industrial Historic District
234-500 (even side) W. Florida St., 222 W. Pittsburgh Ave., 212, 222, 305, 331 S. Third St., 400 S. Fifth St., Milwaukee, Wisconsin
Industrial area comprised of nine buildings in the Walker's Point Neighborhood
500 West Florida
Now known as The Iron Horse Hotel, looking northwest.
The building was home to the Wm. Berger Company, manufacturers of bedding. After 1927, it was the Molitor Box Company. The hotel takes its name from the colloquial term for steam engines, in honor of the railroad that runs on the north side of the building. The double entender also refers to motorcycle, with the Harley-Davidson Museum located to the north, just across the canal.
Photo taken by J.R. Manning in June 2013
+43.02770, -87.9140243°01'40" N, 87°54'50" W
Although bisected by the Canadian Pacific Railroad, this area is comprised of several industrial buildings on the far north edge of Walker's Point. Most of the industry is long gone, the buildings are being repurposed as living space, light industry or retail space.
At least two of the buildings show signs of having been built by the Pabst Brewing Company. Another building is now the Iron Horse Hotel, directly across the Menomonee River Channel from the Harley-Davidson Museum. Ghost signs on some buildings reveal the types of industry that used to be located here.
National Register information
- Posted to the National Register of Historic Places on July 10, 2008
- Reference number
- Architectural style
- Other architectural type; Astylistic utilitarian
- Areas of significance
- Architecture; Industry
- Level of significance
- Evaluation criteria
- A - Event; C - Design/Construction
- Property type
- Historic functions
- Manufacturing facility; Storage
- Periods of significance
- 1875-1899; 1900-1924; 1925-1949; 1950-1974
- Number of properties
- Contributing buildings: 9
Non-contributing buildings: 3
- June 12, 2013: Updated by J.R. Manning: Updated Status, Added Description and Added Photos
- October 1, 2010: Updated by J.R. Manning: Added GPS Coordinates