Historic District of homes in what was once the temperance capital of the United States
"The six houses on the west side of South Grove Street in the district became known as "Temperance Row" because they were built and occupied by lead organizers of the Anti-Saloon League of America beginning in 1910. All are contributing. They include the homes at 131 West Park Street and 67, 79, 101, 109 and 117 South Grove Street.)
"Set on a prominent angle facing the intersection of Park and Grove Streets immediately south of Otterbein College, "Greendale" was built in 1910 as the home of Purley and Lillie Baker (131 West Park Street). Sited to take advantage of the sloping contours of the land tot he southwest, the home has an exposed lower level at the rear. Clad in brick at the lower story and clapboard at the upper story, the generously-sized Bungalow features a broad front porch and a second-floor shed dormer across the main fašade. A pair of small roof dormers, purlins at the eaves, multi-paned original windows and a large exterior gable-end chimney are all part of the intact Craftsman character of the home. Used today by Otterbein College, the home's interior features a large recessed fireplace area as well as original woodwork and light fixtures. While other buildings that the Bakers constructed (including a greenhouse and sanitary milk house) no longer stand, an important remaining building from their occupancy is the c. 1915 cobblestone garage now located at 60 University Street. Another building associated with the Bakers is the home to the south at 67 South Grove that was built in 1923 and occupied by Lillie Baker following the death of Purley Baker in 1924. This house is a two-bay frame Dutch Colonial Revival with flared rood and broad side porch overlooking a landscaped yard. The property includes numerous trees and a flagstone walk leading to the front entry portico...
"...The boundaries reflect the 11-1/2-acre tract of land purchased for residential development by Purley Baker after his arrival in Westerville as General Superintendent of the Anti-Saloon League in 1909. This nominated area contains an intact collection of properties built for of occupied by organizers, manager and workers employed by the Anti-Saloon League of American beginning in 1910. In addition to its shared development history, the neighborhood is well defined by natural and institutional land uses on three sides that were present during the period of significance" Alum Creek on the west, Otterbein College on the north, and Otterbein Cemetery on the south. (Otterbein College and Otterbein Cemetery have histories that are separate and distinct from this neighborhood.) On the south, newer properties on the east side of South Grove Street that housed several Anti-Saloon League workers during the early 20th century and that physically related to the original six "Temperance Row" homes on South Grove Street. Further to the east is a large residential neighborhood dating from the mid-late 19th century that does not share the development history of association with the Anti-Saloon League of America that Temperance Row Historic District does."
Adapted from the National Register of Historic Places Nomination Form prepared by William V. Merriman, Judith B. Williams and Beth A. Weinhardt of the Westerville Public Library, June 26, 2008. A link to the document is listed below under "Sources."