Huguenot Street Historic District

Huguenot St., New Paltz, New York

Map 

Street View 

Description 

This historic district consists of five stone houses that reflect the 17th and 18th century Walloon and French Hugenot heritage of the settlers. In 1677, refugees from Flanders and the Lower Rhine purchased the site of New Paltz from the Esopus Indians with "40 kettles, 40 axes, and lots of wampum." -- National Historic Landmark statement of significance, October 9, 1960

National Register information 

Status
Posted to the National Register of Historic Places on October 15, 1966
Reference number
66000578
Architectural styles
Colonial; Other architectural type; Dutch Colonial
Areas of significance
Exploration/Settlement; Architecture
Levels of significance
National; Local
Evaluation criteria
A - Event; C - Design/Construction
Property type
District
Historic function
Single dwelling
Current functions
Museum; Single dwelling
Periods of significance
1650-1699; 1700-1749; 1800-1824; 1750-1799; 1825-1849
Significant year
1677
Number of properties
Contributing buildings: 10
Non-contributing buildings: 2

Update Log 

  • April 10, 2018: New Street View added by Brian Bartlett

Sources