Colonial Germantown Historic District

Germantown Ave. between Windrim Ave. and Upsal St., Philadelphia, Pennsylvania

Map 

Description 

Founded in 1683 by Germans fleeing religious persecution who were invited to Pennsylvania by William Penn. The district exemplifies the successful settlement of a non-British group in one of the 13 original British colonies. -- National Historic Landmark statement of significance, June 23, 1965

National Register information 

Note: The following information comes from the NRHP database and has not been verified.
Status
Posted to the National Register of Historic Places on October 15, 1966
Reference number
66000678
Architectural styles
Colonial; Georgian; Federal
Areas of significance
Industry; Ethnic Heritage - European; Architecture; Religion
Level of significance
National
Evaluation criteria
A - Event; C - Design/Construction
Property type
District
Historic functions
Religious structure; Single dwelling; Business
Current functions
Religious structure; Single dwelling; Business
Periods of significance
1650-1699; 1700-1749; 1800-1824; 1750-1799; 1825-1849
Significant years
1683; 1709; 1750
Number of properties
Contributing buildings: 60
Contributing sites: 1
Non-contributing buildings: 8