New Bedford Historic District

Bounded by Front St. on E, Elm St. on N, Acushnet Ave. on W, and Commercial St. on S, New Bedford, Massachusetts

Photos 

Merchants-Mechanics Bank

Photo taken by Marc Belanger in May 2010

Enlarge

Map 

Street View 

Description 

New Bedford's growth as a whaling port began shortly after the town was established in the early 1760s. In the 1840s, New Bedford superseded Nantucket as the most important U.S. whaling port. The wealth produced by whaling is evident in the structures in the historic district, which include the William Rotch House, a National Historic Landmark in its own right. -- National Historic Landmark statement of significance, November 13, 1966

National Register information 

Status
Posted to the National Register of Historic Places on November 13, 1966
Reference number
66000773
Architectural styles
Mid 19th Century Revival: Exotic Revival; Federal
Areas of significance
Industry; Commerce
Level of significance
National
Evaluation criteria
A - Event
Property type
District
Historic functions
Single dwelling; Business
Current functions
Single dwelling; Business
Periods of significance
1800-1824; 1750-1799; 1825-1849
Significant years
1790; 1810; 1855
Number of properties
Contributing buildings: 17
Non-contributing buildings: 3

Update Log 

  • March 21, 2015: New photo from Marc Belanger

Sources