Fort Concho Historic District

S edge of San Angelo, San Angelo, Texas

Map 

Street View 

Description 

Established in 1867 to protect the Texas frontier, Fort Concho was active until 1889, when it was abandoned by the Army. Soldiers from the fort carried out campaigns against the Kiowas and Commanches in 1870-1875. -- National Historic Landmark statement of significance, July 4, 1961

National Register information 

Status
Posted to the National Register of Historic Places on October 15, 1966
Reference number
66000823
Areas of significance
Military; Archeology - Non-Aboriginal; Exploration/Settlement
Level of significance
National
Evaluation criteria
D - Information Potential; A - Event
Property type
District
Historic function
Fortification
Current functions
Single dwelling; Museum; Business
Periods of significance
1850-1874; 1875-1899
Significant years
1867; 1889
Number of properties
Contributing buildings: 8
Contributing structures: 2
Contributing sites: 2
Non-contributing buildings: 2

Update Log 

  • September 17, 2017: New Street View added by Bill Eichelberger

Sources