Williamsburg Historic District

Bounded by Francis, Waller, Nicholson, N. England, Lafayette, and Nassau Sts., Williamsburg, Virginia

Photos 

Governors Palace

Photo taken by Michael Miller

Enlarge

Map 

Description 

This was the Capital of Virginia (1699-1799) and the home of the College of William and Mary, chartered in 1693. Restoration of the district, begun in 1927, has recreated the atmosphere of 18th century Williamsburg. -- National Historic Landmark statement of significance, October 9, 1960

National Register information 

Status
Posted to the National Register of Historic Places on October 15, 1966
Reference number
66000925
Architectural style
Georgian
Areas of significance
Conservation; Politics/Government; Architecture
Level of significance
National
Evaluation criteria
A - Event; C - Design/Construction
Property type
District
Historic functions
Village site; Capitol
Current function
Museum
Periods of significance
1650-1699; 1700-1749; 1750-1799; 1925-1949
Significant years
1699; 1779; 1927
Number of properties
Contributing buildings: 450

Update Log 

  • July 22, 2014: New photos from Michael Miller
  • November 18, 2013: New photos from Michael Miller

Related landmarks 

Sources