Eisenhower National Historic Site

200 Eisenhower Farm Lane, Gettysburg, Pennsylvania

Photo 

Eisenhower Farm Two

Photo from the Historic American Buildings Survey

View photos at Library of Congress

Map 

Street View 

Description 

President Eisenhower acquired Farm Two in 1954 after learning that its owner, Earl Brandon, had "invited proposals for commercial interests" for the 124-acre property. General Art Nevis acted as agent for the President and his partner W. Afton Jones, who purchased the diary operation in order to prevent development adjacent to Farm One. Eisenhower then began to build a herd of purebred Angus cattle, and by the end of 1954 had 3 cows and several calves... -- Historic American Buildings Survey (HABS PA-5373)

National Register information 

Status
Posted to the National Register of Historic Places on November 27, 1967
Reference number
67000017
Architectural style
Late 19th and 20th Century Revival: Colonial Revival
Areas of significance
Military; Politics/Government
Level of significance
National
Evaluation criteria
A - Event; B - Person
Property type
District
Historic functions
Single dwelling; Agricultural outbuildings; Agricultural fields; Animal facility; Storage
Current functions
Museum; Single dwelling; Animal facility; Government office; Agricultural fields
Periods of significance
1950-1974; 1850-1874
Significant years
1863; 1951; 1969
Number of properties
Contributing buildings: 38
Contributing structures: 71
Contributing sites: 10
Non-contributing structures: 20

Update Log 

  • October 18, 2016: New Street View added by Bill Eichelberger

Sources