Beaufort Historic District

Bounded by the Beaufort River, Bladen, Hamar, and Boundary Sts., Beaufort, South Carolina

Photos 

St. Helena Episcopal Church

Constructed: 1817

Photo taken by Michael Miller in May 2015

Enlarge

Map 

Description 

This coastal city, the second oldest town in the state, is marked by a distinctive style of Southern architecture, different from that of Savannah and Charleston. Structures in the district date from the early 18th to mid-19th century; houses have 2-story porticoes or verandas, and airy, open interiors. -- National Historic Landmark statement of significance, November 7, 1973

National Register information 

Status
Posted to the National Register of Historic Places on December 17, 1969
Reference number
69000159
Architectural styles
Federal; Mid 19th Century Revival: Exotic Revival; et al.
Areas of significance
Architecture; Exploration/Settlement; Military; Ethnic Heritage - Native American; Commerce; Community Planning and Development; Social History; Ethnic Heritage - Black; Politics/Government
Level of significance
National
Evaluation criteria
C - Design/Construction; A - Event
Property type
District
Historic functions
Business; Single dwelling; Specialty store; Department store; Meeting hall; Religious structure
Current functions
Specialty store; Single dwelling; Department store; Meeting hall; Religious structure
Periods of significance
1875-1899; 1900-1924; 1925-1949; 1600-1649; 1650-1699; 1850-1874; 1700-1749; 1800-1824; 1825-1849; 1750-1799; 1500-1599
Significant years
1521; 1710; 1861
Number of properties
Contributing buildings: 467
Contributing structures: 1
Contributing sites: 5
Contributing objects: 1
Non-contributing buildings: 348
Non-contributing sites: 2

Update Log 

  • May 28, 2015: New photo from Michael Miller
  • August 15, 2014: Photo imported by Michael Miller
  • June 16, 2014: New Street View added by Michael Miller

Related landmarks 

Sources