Historic Camden Revolutionary War Restoration

Also known as: British Revolutionary War Fortifications, Kershaw-Cornwallis House
Southern area of the city, DeKalb Township, Camden, South Carolina

Historic Revolutionary War Era Area

Photos 

Kershaw Cornwallis House

Photo taken by Michael Miller

Enlarge

Map 

Street View 

Description 

The district concerned was central colonial Camden and its adjacent outlying areas. During British occupation, Camden consisted of two city blocks of period homes and military barracks surrounded by a palisade log fence and further protected by five redoubt and three other fortified features (a house, a jail, and a powder magazine) which were placed strategically from 100 to 1000 feet outside the town itself. Because of war and fire, all original buildings in the district have been destroyed, and much of it remains open. At the time of nomination, extensive archaeological restoration of the powder magazine site (not the building itself) and the foundation of the fortified house (used as British headquarters for Lord Cornwallis and Lord Rawdon and the home of the town’s founder, Joseph Kershaw) have been effected without destroying their historical integrity. Camden’s significance in the Revolutionary War is directly related to the British War Office’s decision of late 1779 to establish total control over the southern colonies. Camden served as the main British supply post from spring 1780 to spring 1781 and also proved to be their garrison for two major Revolutionary War engagements, the Battles of Camden and Hobkirk Hill. The fall of Camden was a pivotal point in the eventual defeat of the British. Listed in the National Register July 29, 1969. - SCDAH

National Register information 

Status
Posted to the National Register of Historic Places on July 29, 1969
Reference number
69000170
Areas of significance
Archeology - Non-Aboriginal; Military; Engineering; Politics/Government
Level of significance
National
Evaluation criteria
A - Event; D - Information Potential
Property type
District
Historic functions
Military facility; Fortification; Battle site; Arms storage
Current function
Underwater
Period of significance
1750-1799
Significant years
1780; 1781
Number of properties
Contributing sites: 10

Update Log 

  • September 17, 2014: Updated by Michael Miller: Added "Alternate Name", "Description" & "Street Views" and Imported Photo
  • November 6, 2013: Updated by Michael Miller: Added "Overview" & Updated "GPS Coordinates"

Sources