Monterey Old Town Historic District

Boundary undetermined at this time, Monterey, California


Pacific House

Also a part of Monterey State Historic Park.

Photo taken by Jim Allen, Sept 2009



Street View 


For most of the period between 1776 and 1848, Monterey served as the Spanish, and then as the Mexican, capital of California; it was also the stronghold of European civilization on the American Pacific Coast and the hub of social, economic, and political activities in Califonia. Within in the district are several dozen 19th century adobe structures, as well as the first brick building in California; the first theater in California; the Larkin House; and the first Greek Revival structure built on the Pacific Coast. -- National Historic Landmark statement of significance, April 15, 1970

All the buildings contributing to the Old Town Historic District are also a part of Monterey's Walking Path of History, & many are also a part of the Monterey State Historic Park. The original register lists 17 contributing buildings, however, a 2011 context statement and reconnaissance survey lists 24 buildings & recommends 2 more. The Custom House & the Larkin House have their own NRHP listings.

National Register information 

Posted to the National Register of Historic Places on April 15, 1970
Reference number
Architectural styles
Colonial; Other architectural type; Monterey-colonial
Areas of significance
Exploration/Settlement; Architecture
Level of significance
Evaluation criteria
A - Event; C - Design/Construction
Property type
Historic functions
Capitol; Single dwelling; Business
Current functions
Single dwelling; Business
Periods of significance
1800-1824; 1750-1799; 1825-1849
Significant years
1776; 1849
Number of properties
Contributing buildings: 17

Update Log 

  • February 28, 2017: New Street View added by Bill Eichelberger
  • September 27, 2016: New photos from Jim Allen
  • October 12, 2015: New photos from Jim Allen
  • September 30, 2014: New photos from Jim Allen
  • October 11, 2012: Updated by Jim Allen: addad to description
  • October 10, 2012: New photos from Jim Allen

Related landmarks