Bishop Hill Historic District

Also known as: Bishop Hill Colony
Off US 34, Bishop Hill, Illinois

Photos 

Jansonist Colony

Photo from the Historic American Buildings Survey

View photos at Library of Congress

Map 

Description 

Founded in 1846 by religious dissidents who emigrated from Sweden to establish a new way of life on the Illinois prairie, the colony was run as a commune until its dissolution in 1861. Its archives, artifacts, and structures today are important documents for the study of immigration, ethnic heritage, and 19th century communitarian societies. -- National Historic Landmark statement of significance, April 27, 1984

National Register information 

Status
Posted to the National Register of Historic Places on April 17, 1970
Reference number
70000244
Architectural style
Mid 19th Century Revival: Exotic Revival
Areas of significance
Ethnic Heritage - European; Exploration/Settlement; Social History
Level of significance
National
Evaluation criteria
A - Event
Property type
District
Historic functions
Single dwelling; Agricultural outbuildings; Business
Current functions
Single dwelling; Business
Periods of significance
1875-1899; 1850-1874; 1825-1849
Significant years
1846; 1870
Number of properties
Contributing buildings: 35
Contributing sites: 6
Non-contributing buildings: 7

Sources