Washington Historic District

Roughly bounded by Hoppe St., Bartlett Lane, and city limits on E & W, Washington, Kentucky

Photos 

GENERAL VIEW OF BUILDINGS, FROM EAST

Photo taken for the Historic American Buildings Survey

Map 

Description 

Established in 1969, the Washington Historic District encompasses most of the original town of Washington, founded in 1786. The district site plan contains the central portion of the historic district, including residential and commercial structures which span a century of building styles. Also included are portions of original limestone sidewalks and the sites of several wells, part of the first public water system west of the Alleghenies. -- Historic American Buildings Survey

National Register information 

Status
Posted to the National Register of Historic Places on January 21, 1970
Reference number
70000253
Architectural styles
Georgian; Federal
Areas of significance
Commerce; Education; Architecture; Religion
Level of significance
State
Evaluation criteria
A - Event; C - Design/Construction
Property type
District
Historic functions
Religious structure; Professional; Hotel; Single dwelling; Financial institution; Educational related housing
Current functions
Museum; Professional; Religious structure; Single dwelling; City hall
Periods of significance
1850-1874; 1800-1824; 1750-1799; 1825-1849
Number of properties
Contributing buildings: 18

Tags 

Brick (42,462)
District (10,386)
Federal (4,589)
Georgian (1,428)
Kentucky (4,307)
Limestone (8,192)
Mason County, Kentucky (57)
Washington, Kentucky (5)

Update Log 

  • May 12, 2012: Imported photos from HABS/HAER

Sources