Old Campus District, University of South Carolina

Also known as: University of South Carolina Historic District
Bounded by Pendleton, Sumter, Pickens, and Green Sts., Columbia, South Carolina

Photos 

Flinn Hall

South Carolina Department of Archives and History

View this photo at nationalregister.sc.gov

Map 

Street Views 

Description 

Chartered in 1801 as South Carolina College, opened 1805, and re-chartered as University of South Carolina in 1865, the institution reflects the ambitions and fortunes of the state. A tree-shaded quadrangle centers the Old Campus District. The buildings bordering the quadrangle present balanced grouping and harmony of design, austere simplicity of early Republican architecture. A brick wall erected in 1835 surrounds them. Landmarks include Rutledge College (ca. 1805) and Maxcy Monument (ca. 1827), both designed by Robert Mills; DeSaussure College (1809), designed by Edward Clark; South Caroliniana Library (ca.1840), the oldest separate college library building in the United States; and the Gymnasium, designed by Jacob Graves in 1855 as a chapel. There are over twenty other contributing campus institutional buildings and numerous contributing landscape features. Listed in the National Register June 5, 1970. - SCDAH

National Register information 

Status
Posted to the National Register of Historic Places on June 5, 1970
Reference number
70000596
Architectural style
Early Republic
Areas of significance
Education; Architecture
Level of significance
State
Evaluation criteria
A - Event; C - Design/Construction
Property type
District
Historic functions
College; Monument/marker
Current functions
College; Monument/marker
Periods of significance
1850-1874; 1800-1824; 1825-1849
Significant years
1805; 1848
Number of properties
Contributing buildings: 10
Contributing objects: 1

Update Log 

  • October 17, 2014: Updated by Michael Miller: Added "Alternate Name", "Description" & "Street Views" and Imported Photo

Sources