New Haven Green Historic District

Bounded by Chapel, College, Elm, and Church Sts., New Haven, Connecticut

Map 

Street View 

Description 

New Haven Green is significant as the setting for three churches erected between 1812 and 1816, remarkable both for individual architectural merit and as an outstanding urban ensemble of the 19th century. Center Church and United Church (fine examples of the Federal Style) and Trinity Church (one of the first large Gothic Revival structures in America) stand on the east side of the Green. -- National Historic Landmark statement of significance, December 30, 1970

National Register information 

Status
Posted to the National Register of Historic Places on December 30, 1970
Reference number
70000838
Architectural styles
Victorian: Gothic; Federal
Areas of significance
Community Planning and Development; Architecture
Level of significance
National
Evaluation criteria
C - Design/Construction
Property type
District
Historic functions
Religious structure; Plaza
Current functions
Religious structure; Plaza
Period of significance
1800-1824
Significant years
1814; 1816
Number of properties
Contributing buildings: 3
Contributing sites: 1

Tags 

19th Century (36,405)
Brick (42,457)
Built 1814 (67)
Built during 1810s (1,384)
Connecticut (1,614)
District (10,187)
Ethiel Town (1)
Federal (4,564)
Gothic (1,428)
Granite (5,090)
Have Street View (35,514)
National Historic Landmark (2,195)
New Haven County, Connecticut (259)
New Haven, Connecticut (57)
Sandstone (4,862)
Slate (5,715)
Victorian (19,690)

Update Log 

  • November 11, 2017: New Street View added by Brian Bartlett

Sources