New Echota

NE of Calhoun on GA 225, Calhoun, Georgia

Map 

Description 

New Echota was the first national capital of the Cherokees, established in 1825. Here the Indians adopted a republican legislature, published a newspaper, and established a supreme court, all based on Anglo-American precedent. It was here in 1835 that the Treaty of New Echota was signed, establishing the basic pretext for the final removal of the Cherokee to the West and the "Trail of Tears". -- National Historic Landmark statement of significance, November 7, 1973

National Register information 

Note: The following information comes from the NRHP database and has not been verified.
Status
Posted to the National Register of Historic Places on May 13, 1970
Reference number
70000869
Areas of significance
Archeology - Aboriginal; Ethnic Heritage - Native American; Politics/Government; Social History
Level of significance
National
Evaluation criteria
A - Event
Property type
District
Historic function
Village site
Current functions
Museum; Park
Period of significance
1825-1849
Significant years
1825; 1838
Number of properties
Contributing buildings: 1
Contributing sites: 1
Non-contributing buildings: 4