Shasta State Historic Park

Also known as: Shasta
U.S. 299, Shasta, California

Photos 

A Diverse Community

Shasta State Historic Park

Photo taken by Richard Doody in October 2012

Enlarge

Map 

Street View 

Description 

"OLD TOWN OF SHASTA - Founded in 1849 as Reading's Springs, the town was named Shasta June 8, 1850. It was the second county seat for Shasta County, 1851-1888, and the metropolis of northern California during the 1850s. Here, until 1861, the road ended and the Oregon pack trail began. It is the home of the Western Star Lodge No. 2, F. & A.M., whose charter was brought across the plains in the Peter Lassen party of 1848. In 1851, Dr. Benjamin Shurtleff, pioneer physician and Shasta's first and only alcalde, built his home. The Shasta Courier was founded in 1851. The entire business section of Shasta was destroyed by fire in 1853." - California Historic Landmark No.77

National Register information 

Status
Posted to the National Register of Historic Places on October 14, 1971
Reference number
71000199
Architectural style
Other architectural type; Classical Greco-Roman
Areas of significance
Industry; Politics/Government; Architecture
Level of significance
State
Evaluation criteria
A - Event; C - Design/Construction
Property type
District
Historic functions
Courthouse; Meeting hall; Single dwelling; Specialty store
Current functions
Museum; Park; Courthouse
Periods of significance
1850-1874; 1825-1849
Number of properties
Contributing buildings: 16
Non-contributing buildings: 1

Update Log 

  • March 28, 2019: Updated by Richard Doody: Added historical information
  • April 25, 2018: New photos from Richard Doody
  • October 25, 2016: New Street View added by Bill Eichelberger

Sources