Mount Vernon Place Historic District

Mount Vernon Pl. and Washington Pl., Baltimore, Maryland

Map 

Description 

Completed in 1888, the Graham-Hughes House stands among the most architecturally arresting structures facing Mount Vernon and Washington places. Its prominent corner tower not only emboldens the presence of the narrow house, but also contributes to the overall park landscape by marking the northern extent of Washington Place. Sheathed in white marble, the structure stands apart from the more muted red brick and brownstone facades facing the parks and the surrounding streets. In form and detail, the house's Chateauesque expression architecturally linked the Grahams to other upper-class Americans building similar houses throughout the country. The house remains among the extant works of local Baltimore architect, George Archer -- Historic American Buildings Survey (HABS MD-1178)

National Register information 

Status
Posted to the National Register of Historic Places on November 11, 1971
Reference number
71001037
Areas of significance
Landscape Architecture; Art; Architecture
Level of significance
National
Evaluation criteria
C - Design/Construction
Property type
District
Historic functions
Monument/marker; Park
Current functions
Park; Monument/marker
Periods of significance
1875-1899; 1850-1874; 1800-1824; 1825-1849
Number of properties
Contributing buildings: 4
Contributing structures: 5

Sources