Tredegar Iron Works

500 Tredegar St., Richmond, Virginia

Map 

Description 

Established in 1837, the Tredegar Iron Works was one of the largest iron works in the United States from 1841 to 1865. During the Civil War the works supplied the South with a major share of the iron products that helped the Confederacy sustain 4 years of war. -- National Historic Landmark statement of significance, December 22, 1977

National Register information 

Status
Posted to the National Register of Historic Places on July 2, 1971
Reference number
71001048
Areas of significance
Industry; Military
Level of significance
National
Evaluation criteria
A - Event
Property type
District
Historic function
Manufacturing facility
Current function
Business
Periods of significance
1850-1874; 1825-1849
Significant years
1841; 1865
Number of properties
Contributing buildings: 4
Contributing sites: 2
Non-contributing buildings: 5
Non-contributing sites: 1

Tags 

19th Century (36,353)
Brick (42,457)
Built 1841 (124)
Built during 1840s (2,934)
District (10,143)
National Historic Landmark (2,195)
Private owner (54,396)
Reev Davis (1)
Richmond, Virginia (209)
Slate (5,715)
Virginia (3,527)