Also known as: El Pueblo de Los Angeles State Historic Park, El Pueblo de Los Angeles, El Pueblo de Los Angeles Historic Distric Roughly bounded by Spring, Macy, Alameda and Arcadia Sts., and Old Sunset Blvd., Los Angeles, California
Distant view looking east of the south front and the adjacent vickery-brunswig building
Designed by the Los Angeles architectural firm of Dennis & Farwell, the Brunswig Annex (and attached Vickrey-Brunswig Building) represents the rapid transformation of Los Angeles in the last quarter of the 19th century from an agricultural outpost during the Spanish and Mexican eras to a populous, commercialized city with increasing regional importance. Constructed in 1897 as the surrounding Plaza district shed its rural, colonial character and became the city's first central business district, the Brunswig Annex reflects the continuous and evolving use of the 1825 site of the Spanish settlement of El Pueblo de Los Angeles, characterized as "the living composite story of Los Angeles from Indian times prior to 1781 through Spanish, Mexican and American periods. The Brunswig Annex was listed in the National Register of Historic Places in 1981 as contributor to the El Pueblo de Los Angeles Historic Park, a district listed in the National Register in 1972.
-- Historic American Buildings Survey (HABS CA-2793)
National Register information
Posted to the National Register of Historic Places on November 3, 1972
Areas of significance
Commerce; Politics/Government; Ethnic Heritage - Hispanic; Architecture; Social History