French Gulch Historic District

Also known as: French Gulch
Along both sides of French Gulch Rd., French Gulch, California

Map 

Street View 

Description 

"FRENCH GULCH - Founded nearby by French miners in 1849, the town of Morrowville, relocated here, was the center of one of the state's richest gold producing areas. Total production was over $20,000,000. One of California's first stamp mills operated at the nearby Franklin Mine. From 1856 to 1858 French Gulch was the trailhead on the western branch of the California-Oregon Trail. St. Rose Catholic Church was founded in 1856. As a supply and stopping place, the town rivaled Shasta." - California Historic Landmark No.166

National Register information 

Status
Posted to the National Register of Historic Places on March 24, 1972
Reference number
72000257
Areas of significance
Industry; Social History
Level of significance
State
Evaluation criteria
A - Event
Property type
District
Historic functions
Hotel; Meeting hall; Post office; Specialty store
Current functions
Hotel; Theater; Specialty store
Periods of significance
1900-1924; 1875-1899; 1850-1874
Number of properties
Contributing buildings: 9
Contributing sites: 2

Update Log 

  • March 28, 2019: Updated by Richard Doody: Added historical information
  • October 25, 2016: New Street View added by Bill Eichelberger

Sources