Jekyll Island Club

Between Riverview Dr. and Old Village Blvd., Jekyll Island, Georgia

Photos 

Horton House (Remains)

1. Historic American Buildings Survey Jack E. Boucher, Photographer May 1958 3/4 VIEW (FRONT) FROM NORTHEAST

Photo from the Historic American Buildings Survey

View photos at Library of Congress

Map 

Street Views 

Description 

This house was burned by the Spanish in 1742 and belonged to Major William Horton, who assumed command of the regiment when General Oglethorpe returned to England. -- Historic American Buildings Survey (HABS GA-2150)

National Register information 

Status
Posted to the National Register of Historic Places on January 20, 1972
Reference number
72000385
Architectural style
Victorian
Areas of significance
Entertainment/Recreation; Architecture; Social History
Level of significance
National
Evaluation criteria
A - Event; C - Design/Construction
Property type
District
Historic functions
Civic; Camp
Current functions
Museum; Park
Periods of significance
1900-1924; 1875-1899
Significant years
1888; 1920
Number of properties
Contributing buildings: 12
Contributing structures: 2

Update Log 

  • July 31, 2017: New Street View added by Michael Miller
  • November 1, 2013: New photos from Michael Miller

Related landmarks 

Sources