Wiscasset Historic District

Also known as: Wiscasset Point, NR Control Nos. PH0004448, PH0004413, PH000527
Roughly Parker, Dresden, Bradford, Main, and Federal Sts., Wiscasset, Maine

Photos 

1763 Kingsbury House, Wiscasset Maine

Photo taken by Brian Bartlett

View this photo at panoramio.com

Map 

Description 

ADDITIONAL DOCUMENTATION APPROVED, 10/31/12 Roughly Parker, Dresden, Bradford, Main, and Federal Sts., Wiscasset, 73000242;

[Criterion C: Architecture] [Criterion A: Community Planning and Development] Local significance. On January 12th, 1973, the Wiscasset Historic District was listed in the National Register of Historic Places. Referred to as “the Prettiest Village in Maine”, Wiscasset is a coastal town on the Sheepscot River that flourished in the years before Maine statehood (1820). It then stalled, both economically and architecturally, in the middle and late decades of the 19th centuries. In the early 20th century the town started to be known for its well preserved collection of historic buildings which included many pre-Revolutionary homes, as well as important examples of Federal style residential and public architecture. The district includes over 200 buildings and has a period of significance that ranges from 1739 to 1870. Additional documentation was recently approved by the National Register of Historic Places to formally extend the period of significance to 1909 in order to encompass the significance of the third edition of the First Congregational Church, designed by John Calvin Stevens and John Howard Stevens. Immediately to the north of the church is the 1824 Lincoln County Court House. This pair of buildings, located uphill from the river and fronted by the common at the top of Main Street, compose an imposing, iconic landmark overlooking the residential and commercial heart of the town. Specifically intended to reference a similar, 1840 Samuel Melcher III designed church which burned in 1907, this excellent piece of Colonial Revival architecture provides continuity of the style, massing, design and workmanship with the Colonial and Federal architecture of the town, even as it preserves the setting, and feeling of the common and monumental public buildings that historically characterized Wiscasset.

National Register information 

Status
Posted to the National Register of Historic Places on January 12, 1973
Reference number
73000242
Architectural styles
Mid 19th Century Revival: Exotic Revival; Other architectural type; Federal; Octagon
Areas of significance
Commerce; Architecture
Level of significance
Local
Evaluation criteria
A - Event; C - Design/Construction
Property type
District
Historic functions
Customhouse; Single dwelling; School; Business
Current functions
Museum; Cemetery; Single dwelling; Specialty store
Periods of significance
1700-1749; 1850-1874; 1800-1824; 1750-1799; 1825-1849
Significant years
1739; 1870
Number of properties
Contributing buildings: 22
Contributing sites: 2

Tags 

18th Century (4,629)
Brick (42,462)
Built 1739 (18)
Built during 1730s (318)
District (10,360)
Exotic Revival (7,381)
Federal (4,586)
Lincoln County, Maine (100)
Maine (1,851)
Mid 19th Century Revival (7,958)
Wiscasset, Maine (7)

Update Log 

  • December 28, 2013: Photo imported by Brian Bartlett
  • December 22, 2013: Updated by Brian Bartlett: Added description
  • November 21, 2013: Photo imported by Brian Bartlett

Sources