Twickenham Historic District

Roughly bounded by Clinton Ave., California St., Newman Ave. and S. Green St., and Franklin St., Huntsville, Alabama

The first historic district designated in Huntsville, Alabama.

Photos 

Entrance to the District

Photo taken by J.R. Manning November 2017

Enlarge

Map 

Description 

Twickenham Historic District was the first historic district designated in Huntsville, Alabama. It was added to the National Register of Historic Places on January 4, 1973. The name derives from an early name for the town of Huntsville, named after Twickenham, England, by LeRoy Pope. It features homes in the Federal and Greek Revival architectural styles introduced to the city by Virginia-born architect George Steele about 1818, and contains the most dense concentration of antebellum homes in Alabama. The 1819 Weeden House Museum, home of female artist and poet Maria Howard Weeden, is open to the public, as are several others in the district.

Notable structures

Helion Lodge #1 409 Lincoln Street, original building erected 1820; current building started in 1911. Home of a Masonic group that is the oldest in the state.

National Register information 

Status
Posted to the National Register of Historic Places on January 4, 1973
Reference number
73000357
Architectural styles
Mid 19th Century Revival: Exotic Revival; Victorian; Federal
Area of significance
Architecture
Level of significance
State
Evaluation criteria
C - Design/Construction
Property type
District
Historic functions
Professional; Single dwelling
Current functions
Professional; Single dwelling
Periods of significance
1900-1924; 1850-1874; 1800-1824; 1825-1849
Number of properties
Contributing buildings: 111
Non-contributing buildings: 183

Update Log 

  • January 25, 2018: New photos from J.R. Manning
  • May 26, 2011: Updated by WillyT: Added description

Sources