Mount Pleasant Historic District

Bounded by Charleston Harbor, Shem Creek, Royal Ave., and McConts Dr., Mount Pleasant, South Carolina

Photos 

Mount Pleasant Presbyterian Church

Photo taken by Michael Miller in January 2016

Map 

Description 

Mount Pleasant, oldest summer resort in Charleston County, is located in Christ Church Parish, formerly a district of prosperous plantations. The first settlement here was Greenwich, a 100-acre village laid out in ca. 1776 by Jonathan Scott, and Englishman who arrived in South Carolina in 1763. Scott divided the 50 acres along the waterfront into lots and set aside the remaining 50 acres as a common from which the residents could collect firewood. In 1803, Mount Pleasant Plantation was purchased from the Jacob Motte estate by James Hibben who immediately surveyed 35 village lots and founded the town of Mount Pleasant. In 1837, Mount Pleasant and Greenwich merged to form one town called Mount Pleasant. The town rapidly developed as a summer resort for the planters of the parish and later was frequented by Charlestonians as well. The buildings are varied, representing architectural styles of the 18th, 19th and early 20th centuries, including vernacular Georgian, Greek Revival and Gothic Revival examples. Early houses were simple cottages, with more elaborate houses constructed when planters began to reside in the town on a permanent basis. Listed in the National Register March 30, 1973. - SCDAH

National Register information 

Status
Posted to the National Register of Historic Places on March 30, 1973
Reference number
73001701
Architectural style
Mixed architectural types
Areas of significance
Commerce; Military; Transportation; Architecture
Level of significance
Local
Evaluation criteria
A - Event; C - Design/Construction
Property type
District
Historic functions
Religious structure; Single dwelling; Camp
Current functions
Religious structure; Single dwelling
Periods of significance
1875-1899; 1850-1874; 1800-1824; 1750-1799; 1825-1849
Significant years
ca. 1776; 1900
Number of properties
Contributing buildings: 9

Update Log 

  • January 25, 2016: Photo imported by Michael Miller
  • August 19, 2014: Photo imported by Michael Miller
  • July 23, 2014: Updated by Michael Miller: Added "Description" & "Street View"
  • July 23, 2014: New Street View added by Michael Miller

Related landmarks 

Sources