U.S. Coast Guard Historic District

Also known as: Life Saving Station, Sullivans Island Station
Ion Ave. between Station 18 and Station 18 1/2, Sullivans Island, South Carolina

Photos 

Boathouse

Photo taken by Michael Miller in August 2014

Enlarge

Map 

Street Views 

Description 

The Sullivanís Island Coast Guard Station is the oldest extant life saving installment on the South Carolina Coast. Shortly after the Civil War, the Federal government recognized its obligation for the personal safety of citizens in the port area of Charleston with the establishment of the now defunct Morris Island Station. When the main shipping channel into Charleston was altered about twenty years later, the citizens of the immediate area indicated their reciprocal acceptance of that principle. In 1891 the nearby summer village of Moultrieville deeded five acres of land to the United States government for the express purpose of establishing a life saving station and again in 1896 an additional acre to compensate for loss of land by erosion. All of the contributing properties in the district are located behind the primary dune. The station house/administration building (ca. 1891), boathouse (ca. 1891), garage (ca. 1938), and signal tower (ca. 1938) are laid out in an L-shaped court loosely organized around the bunker/sighting station (ca. 1898). The non-contributing lighthouse (ca. 1962) lies nearest the ocean. Listed in the National Register June 19, 1973. - SCDAH

National Register information 

Status
Posted to the National Register of Historic Places on June 19, 1973
Reference number
73001703
Area of significance
Social History
Level of significance
State
Evaluation criteria
A - Event
Property type
District
Historic function
Coast guard facility
Current function
Coast guard facility
Periods of significance
1900-1924; 1875-1899
Significant years
1894; 1919
Number of properties
Contributing buildings: 3
Contributing structures: 1
Non-contributing structures: 1

Update Log 

  • August 7, 2014: New photos from Michael Miller
  • July 28, 2014: Updated by Michael Miller: Added "Description" & "Street View"

Related landmarks 

Sources