Natchitoches Historic District

Roughly bounded by 2nd, 4th, Jefferson, and Parie Sts. and Williams and College Aves., Natchitoches, Louisiana

Map 

Description 

Established by the French in 1714, Natchitoches was a trading center on the Red River and an important link in pack train trails. The historic district has a mixture of architecture from the 18th, 19th, and early 20th centuries. -- National Historic Landmark statement of significance, April 16, 1984

National Register information 

Status
Posted to the National Register of Historic Places on June 5, 1974
Reference number
74000928
Architectural styles
Victorian; Colonial; Other architectural type; Boussilage
Areas of significance
Commerce; Exploration/Settlement; Architecture
Level of significance
National
Evaluation criteria
A - Event; C - Design/Construction
Property type
District
Historic functions
Single dwelling; Business
Current functions
Single dwelling; Business
Periods of significance
1900-1924; 1875-1899; 1850-1874; 1800-1824; 1825-1849
Number of properties
Contributing buildings: 390