Calumet Downtown Historic District

Also known as: Red Jacket Downtown Historic District
5th and 6th Sts. between Scott and Pine Sts., Calumet, Michigan

Map 

Description 

The town of Calumet was founded in the winter of 1874-1875 with the name Red Jacket. It was giving the same name as a local mining shaft. The town was renamed Calumet in 1929.

The Calumet Theater & the Calumet Fire Station, listed separately, are in this district.

National Register information 

Status
Posted to the National Register of Historic Places on June 25, 1974
Reference number
74000986
Areas of significance
Commerce; Architecture
Level of significance
State
Evaluation criteria
A - Event; C - Design/Construction
Property type
District
Historic functions
Single dwelling; Specialty store; Business
Current functions
Single dwelling; Business; Specialty store
Periods of significance
1900-1924; 1875-1899
Number of properties
Contributing buildings: 62

Tags 

Brick (42,462)
C.K. Shand (4)
Calumet, Michigan (5)
District (10,443)
Houghton County, Michigan (41)
Michigan (1,927)
Sandstone (4,861)

Update Log 

  • January 31, 2020: Updated by Jim Allen: added alternate name & description

Related landmarks 

Sources