Las Vegas Plaza

Bounded by Valencia and Moreno Sts. and rear property line of building on Gonzales St. and Hot Springs Blvd., Las Vegas, New Mexico

Photos 

Plaza Hotel

Perspective view from the southeast

Photo from the Historic American Buildings Survey

View photos at Library of Congress

Map 

Street View 

Description 

Built in 1882, the Plaza Hotel embodied the ambitions of local businessmen, led by Beningno Romero, to create the finest hotel in the territory. Romero and his compatriots formed the Las Vegas Hotel and Improvement Company in 1880 with the express purpose of erecting a hotel that would not only house visitors coming to town via the railroad but also would serve as an expression of themselves and their community. Well known guests include silent film producer Romaine Fielding in 1913-14 and the 1960s-era political faction called the Mama Lucy Gang. Today the hotel is owned by Plaza Partnership, Ltd., and its restoration sparked interest in the preservation of the historic town center. -- Historic American Buildings Survey (HABS NM-206)

National Register information 

Status
Posted to the National Register of Historic Places on December 16, 1974
Reference number
74001202
Architectural styles
Late 19th and 20th Century Revival; Victorian: Italianate; Other architectural type; Territorial Style
Areas of significance
Commerce; Military; Transportation; Politics/Government; Architecture
Level of significance
National
Evaluation criteria
A - Event; C - Design/Construction
Property type
District
Periods of significance
1900-1924; 1875-1899; 1850-1874; 1825-1849
Significant year
1835
Number of properties
Contributing buildings: 22
Contributing structures: 1
Contributing sites: 1
Non-contributing buildings: 6

Update Log 

  • May 30, 2020: New photo from Bill Eichelberger
  • January 19, 2018: New Street View added by Michael Miller

Related landmarks 

Sources