Penn Center Historic District

Also known as: Penn School
S of Frogmore on SC 37, Frogmore, South Carolina

Photos 

Penn School Historic District, Arnett House

1. WEST (FRONT) AND NORTH SIDE ELEVATIONS

Photo from the Historic American Buildings Survey

View photos at Library of Congress

Map 

Description 

Northern missionaries organized one of the first southern schools for blacks here in 1862. Pioneered in health services and self-help programs. The oldest existing structure is the Brick Church (1855). Dr. Martin Luther King and staff held meetings here. -- Historic American Buildings Survey (HABS SC-588)

National Register information 

Status
Posted to the National Register of Historic Places on September 9, 1974
Reference number
74001824
Areas of significance
Engineering; Ethnic Heritage - Black; Politics/Government; Social History
Level of significance
National
Evaluation criteria
A - Event
Property type
District
Historic function
School
Current functions
Museum; Civic; School
Periods of significance
1900-1924; 1875-1899; 1850-1874
Significant years
1855; 1862
Number of properties
Contributing buildings: 18

Update Log 

  • December 2, 2019: New photos from Michael Miller
  • June 19, 2014: New Street View added by Michael Miller

Sources