Converse College Historic District

580 E. Main St., Spartanburg, South Carolina

Historic college campus in Spartanburg, SC

Photos 

Wilson Hall

Photo taken by Michael Miller

Enlarge

View this photo at panoramio.com

Map 

Description 

In 1889, citizens concerned with the lack of educational opportunity for young women in the Spartanburg community spearheaded a movement that led to the establishment of Converse College. Included among these interested citizens was Dexter E. Converse, and influential leader of the textile industry and the benefactor for which the college is named. Designed to provide a liberal arts education for young women, Converse was founded during the years in which the importance of education for women was being supported in the South. Although located in an urban area and within a modern campus complex, the district preserves the character of the original campus. The district contains eight buildings, including the oldest structure built on the campus, Pell Annex, as well as other buildings that reflect the school’s early history. Representative architectural styles include Romanesque Revival, Gothic Revival, and Classical Revival. Dates of construction on buildings within the district range from 1891 to 1915. All but one are of brick. Situated in a carefully landscaped area, the district possesses compatibility of scale and material. Listed in the National Register November 12, 1975. - SCDAH

National Register information 

Status
Posted to the National Register of Historic Places on November 12, 1975
Reference number
75001706
Architectural styles
Late 19th and 20th Century Revival: Late Gothic Revival; Other architectural type; Victorian: Romanesque; Richardsonian Romanesque
Areas of significance
Education; Architecture; Social History
Level of significance
State
Evaluation criteria
A - Event; C - Design/Construction
Property type
District
Historic function
College
Current function
College
Periods of significance
1900-1924; 1875-1899
Significant years
1891; 1915
Number of properties
Contributing buildings: 8
Non-contributing buildings: 1

Update Log 

  • October 20, 2014: Photo imported by Michael Miller
  • October 15, 2013: Updated by Michael Miller: Added "Description" & "Overview"

Sources