Sumter Historic District

Commercial area centered around Main and Liberty Sts., Sumter, South Carolina

Photos 

Sumter County Courthouse

Photo taken by Michael Miller

Enlarge

Map 

Street Views 

Description 

Originally called Sumterville, the town was the county seat of Sumter District and later Sumter County. A settlement by 1785, Sumterville was named after General Thomas Sumter, South Carolina Revolutionary war hero. In 1798, the village was selected for the site of the courthouse of old Sumter District. With no access to waterway or railroad, development was slow until the Camden branch of the South Carolina Railroad extended into the town in 1843. Incorporated in 1845, Sumtervilleís name was eventually changed to Sumter. The town was officially chartered in 1871. Sumterís political, commercial, and cultural development is reflected in the architecture of the central business district that spans a time period from 1828 to the present. Many of the buildings in the original commercial district date from 1880 to 1912 and are typical of turn-of-the-century commercial buildings, using materials such as pressed tin, limestone, and brick. Detail work of buildings includes arches, columns, decorative brickwork and dentil work. Listed in the National Register April 21, 1975. - SCDAH

National Register information 

Status
Posted to the National Register of Historic Places on April 21, 1975
Reference number
75001707
Architectural styles
Late 19th and 20th Century Revival: Classical Revival; Other architectural type; Victorian: Romanesque; Richardsonian Romanesque
Areas of significance
Commerce; Entertainment/Recreation; Politics/Government; Architecture; Social History
Level of significance
Local
Evaluation criteria
A - Event; C - Design/Construction
Property type
District
Historic functions
Professional; Single dwelling; Business
Current functions
Professional; Single dwelling; Business
Periods of significance
1900-1924; 1875-1899; 1850-1874; 1825-1849; 1925-1949
Number of properties
Contributing buildings: 74
Non-contributing buildings: 11

Update Log 

  • October 23, 2014: Updated by Michael Miller: Added "Description" & "Street View" and Imported Photo
  • October 23, 2014: New photo from Michael Miller

Related landmarks 

Sources